Friday, 15 December 2017

Maori

Wherever I go, I try to chat with people, to learn about their culture and their life. And one thing I am trying to find out here is how does this Maori integration work?
New Zealanders tend to be incredibly proud of how they are doing so much better than their neighbours, the Australians, when it comes to relationships between the settlers and the people who were already here when they arrived.
One lady told me that mixed relationships are totally normal, that there really aren't any problems between these two cultures - "except for," she said, and then launched into a half hour account about how it's not really that easy, after all. The Maori culture is a highly collective one, so you feel part of a group before you feel as an individual, you consider the effects on your family before you do anything, etc. The Kiwi culture is highly individualistic, so the exact opposite. The lady from Auckland I spoke with told me that this is what many Maoris find difficult - being caught between two cultures. And how that often drives them into drugs and alcoholism.
Another thing is that practically no white person I have met is able to speak more than a couple of token words of Maori, even though it is an official language and everyone is so proud of having this magnificent Maori culture in their country. It is taught in school now, but I guess it is mostly kids with Maori roots who take it.

And finally, and this is way more complicated, there is the whole question of equality. When the British first came to New Zealand, they made an agreement with Maori tribes at Waitingi treaty grounds, where you can find a most wonderful museum which really gets you thinking.
The treaty was meant to protect the Maoris from other invaders and at the same time regulate land sale etc. To this day, not all Maori tribes have signed the agreement.
And to this day, not everyone is happy with the treaty, there are groups of people on both sides that feel left out or treated unfairly. There are Maori who bemoan the loss of land, rights and culture, and there are white people who claim that Maoris get preferential treatment for no reason. They say it is easier for kids with Maori background to get into uni - and why? It is all so long ago, can we now move on and give equal chances to everyone please?

There was a bit of an upset here recently about a politician speaking up against the use of Maori words in a TV programme, as Maori speakers already have their own programme, and he and his constituents don't understand all words spoken in said TV programme anymore now.

As a total outsider, I try to not form an early opinion, but I must say this whole question often baffles me. It is a mix between a question of immense pride, some kind of political correctness and a constant elephant in the room, in a way. There is not a doubt in my mind that the Kiwis have found a better way to deal with their colonial history and its consequences than the Australians (you could hardly do worse), but I guess there is no ideal solution.
Should you ever come to NZ, I urge you to go visit the magnificent museum and the wonderful Waiting Treaty grounds, this explains a lot and opens even more boxes of the pandora.




No comments:

Post a Comment