Another thing that strikes me about New Zealand is the frequency
of large scale tattoos: I have the feeling any primary school teaching staff
Monday morning meeting would make a tattoo convention proud. It seems that
people like you and me need to have at least a certain percentage of their
bodies covered in depictions of skulls, seemingly random words and
symbols.
The
Maoris traditionally have had a strong tattoo culture and this seems to have reached
all inhabitants of this country at this stage. In the Maori culture, as in many
other cultures, tattooes have a meaning and a magical power. I feel quite
colourless and non-descript here at times, when talking to people who have
large scale images of whatever seemed to have floated their skin-colouring
boats a while ago. But as this whole trip is all about opening my horizon, I am trying to come to terms with having innocent chats with innocent people who, in my culture, look like drug dealers with a triple murder conviction (this sounds terrible, but seriously, people with face tattoos?!)
No comments:
Post a Comment